Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"It Was One of Those Awkward Moments | #NaPoWriMo Day 1

The first poem was written while I was covering a duty at work today. Like all my poems, I start with an idea and it usually flows from there. I didn't spend much time editing, so it was a quick write. It was penned quickly. Enjoy!


It was one of those awkward moments where
you don't know
what to do
what to say
or
where to look
All I could do was swing my arms and
occasionally shift my weight from my left foot to my right
It was me against them
Them against me
I wasn't keeping score
But it felt like I was winning
in this showmanship of awkwardness
Shooting my eyes to the left to try to think of something legit to say
Gnawing on the left inner part of my lip
Anticipating something--anything to break this episode.

Now for the master move.
Double the points.
I effortlessly grabbed my left wrist with my right hand.

© 2014 by Jamie Dunlap

Poetry Form: Free Verse
Topic: Awkwardness
Word Count: 113

2 comments:

MYFAITHFULHAIRJOURNEY said...

Your blog is beautiful! The aesthetics, layout, profile! I just love it! I am so new at this. I have no clue how to add the extras! Oh and more importantly, your hair is phenomenal! That's where I want to be! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks!! I'm still pretty new at fixing up the blog. Hoping to get better.