Friday, March 21, 2014

Avocado Popsicles | Foodie Friday



First and foremost, I love avocados. I discovered their smooth goodness about three years ago. I regularly ate lunch with one of my co-workers and she would have an avocado with every meal. At that time, I couldn't understand her excitement in eating the green blob. Just observing her motivated me to give avocados a try. I tried to eat it by itself. I barely ate any. Then I tried again, but this time more successfully. I loved how the avocado tasted on taco salad. I slowly progressed from there to consuming avocado by itself and mixed in with several different dishes.

After browsing Pinterest months ago, I discovered that avocado could be prepared as a dessert. Specifically it could be made into a popsicle. I had tasted avocado hundreds of times at this point and I couldn't imagine how this vegetable could be used in a dessert or how it could be considered sweet. I stalked posts to find a recipe for the avocado popsicle. I finally found one and I tweaked it to meet my taste buds.

As we welcome in Spring and it's cool breeze, prepare the avocado popsicle for you and your family as a cool treat in the middle of the day or to end your day.

Let me know in the comment section if you plan to try this recipe.

This recipe makes 4 popsicles

Ingredients:
2 Ripe avocado
1/3 cup of Brown sugar or sweetener of your choice
1 Lime
1/2 cup of Water

Tools:
Popsicle containers, bowl, spoon, food processor, measuring cups, knife


Step by Step
1. Boil 1/2 cup of water and mix in the 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
2. Cut the avocados and scoop out the meat into the food processor.
3. Squeeze lime over the avocado.
4. Pour the brown sugar mixture into the food processor.
5. Blend all ingredients together until a smooth consistency.
6. Pour the mixture into the popsicle containers.
7. Keep in the freezer for at least 8 hours.

Run warm water over the outside of the container and it will loosen so you can grab the popsicle.
Enjoy!

#FoodieFriday

Check out the video below for a visual of how to prepare this easy sweet dessert.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

These sound really good. I have a book that breaks down healthy food choices based on blood type and ethnic background and unfortunately avocado is a no go for me :(

Unknown said...

Oh wow. I didn't even know a book like that existed. If you eat one do you have an immediate reaction? I was asking because it makes me think about whether I'm consuming the right foods for my blood type.