Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Anticipation of "I Do"

I had the pleasure of staying up way past a nonexistent bedtime last night and I watched Essence's Will You Marry Me? The shows concept was interesting. I've seen tons of Bridezilla shows, and wedding planner shows but they never really tell about the proposal. The guys on this show were selected from the letters they mailed in that expressed their love for their girlfriends and their proposal. The letters were included in an issue of Essence magazine. They highlighted about 6 different couples. They talked about how they met each other, and they showed them planning and actually proposing. I think I even started crying when they were proposing. I think I was secretly living vicariously through their moment. lol! One lady was so nonchalant. After her boyfriend proposed her response was "Oh Sure". Another one of the couples were so cute and humble that I could feel the love through the tv screen. What was it about their union, that proposal that stuck out to me. Why did I cry with the future bride? Why did I imagine myself in her shoes?

This was the scenario: He had called their family and friends in and she was told they were going to a special movie screening. When the movie started it was her boyfriend talking about how they met, how much she meant to him, how he knew she was the one. Immediately tears streamed from her eyes. These were happy tears. When the movie stopped, he got down on one knee and said, I have known from when I first met you that I wanted to spend my life with you, grow old with you, have children with you, cherish you, and grow spiritually with you. Their belief in God and how it was him who had brought them together and how even in their union they would be faithful to him is what I think truly touched me. Most of the other couples (one other couple prayed with their minister after the proposal) made no mention... not to say they have any less of a relationship with God, but that was the difference, and what stood out about them.

Another couple had been friends for twelve years before they started dating and thus before getting engaged. They were really solidifying that friendship. I think it's important to have the friendship in any relationship... marrying your best friend. Every relationship takes work and good communication. So after the show ended I closed my eyes and I'm sure I went on to dream about my own anticipation of "I Do".

No comments: